Thursday, June 01, 2006

Monthly Matters: May '06

Returned home at the end of April following a long absence to find that a small family of mice had leased my bedsheets. First thought: eeyyuu. Second thought: awwww. Third thought: Oh no you di'int just chew through my PC-issue blanket AND my jersey-knit sheets!?! The result: I hunted down the parents, then threw the babies in my compost pile where the ants got to them. Go ahead, say it: I'm cruel.

Malole now has a cell tower (!) as Celltel further extends its dominance over the region. It grew up over a matter of just three weeks, which is fast even by U.S. standards. The problem is that it hasn't been turned on yet. The reason...politics. But we'll get to that in a future post. In the meantime I am going to answer the question I know you are thinking: no I do not have a cell phone. Not yet, anyway...

Currently renovating a pond with the local NGO: Cinshi Wa Babili. They have had seepage problems and therefore long-abandoned their fish farming project. We are packing termite soil into the pond bottom and layering it with black plastic, hoping it will have some effect. Keep your fingers crossed.

Provincials - our triannual meeting to discuss committee issues, house concerns, project goals, etc. Also a chance to make some good food with your friends. And there's usually a pretty good afterparty, too.

TOT Training - 4 days of meetings in Kitwe so us PCVs can properly train the incoming PCTs during PST (got that?). Good news: the RAP, LIFE, and HAP groups are all training together, so there will be lots of information sharing (fish volunteers learn more about forest conservation and HIV/AIDS education). Bad news: it is a logistical nightmare. God help us. I'm PCV-Of-The-Week in the middle of July.

Finally, Ienjoyed a two-hour conversation with Dr. Lubemba in the back of a minibus. He actually is a really nice guy when he is not acting crazy. We discussed current events, future plans, medical issues, and he even instructed me on the proper way to eat groundnuts. And to top it off we shared a sentimental moment where he told me about his family and his motivation toward medicine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home