Random June Bushnotes
-Sweet potatoes are my #1 favorite food out here. The leaves, which are a traditional Zambian relish, are also phenomenal.
-The pond we were renovating at the local NGO is thus far a failure--the seepage is still quite bad. Crap. We're still trying, though... if anyone has expert knowledge on this sort of thing your comments are welcome.
-Popular rumor has it that my 57 year-old neighbor is a big pothead. I can't confirm this but it strikes me as pretty funny.
-After insistent nagging, I may have convinced at least one of my farmers to quit chitemene (the tradition of slash and burn agriculture) for good. Though I have no way of knowing if this promise will last, it is a small victory!
-Finally, as home is never far from my thoughts...Congratulations to both Rhose and Beth who got married this past week in Pittsburgh and Hawaii, respectively.


11 Comments:
Hey mune, Ba Neddee,
I was under the impression that a fine clay layer (the clay is fine, not the layer; *not* silt: Clay) is one of the best for the bottom of a pond.
Also, an indurated layer (often formed in a different climate than that which supports a modern-day pond) can be the pond bottom.
You may want to visit ZIT or email a professor there for more specifics on what your soil conditions are there and how to construct a pond. Professors in geology, soil science/aquaculture, geologic engineering/geomorphology, or civil engineering will be most helpful
Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance, but the books at Pitt fail to show soil maps of Zambia.
All the best and God bless,
Grace
I'm gonna say one word to you, Ned--
--limnology.
Grace
Matt: I am so glad you guys made it to Primanti's. Are you serious you'd never had one before? Oh yeah, we wanted to go in Ft. Lauderdale, but some people wanted the irish pub instead ;-)
Grace: Thanks for the info. We received extensive training in optimal soil quality early on; the problem we're having here is that this pond was built on sandy soil so we're trying to renovate it in some way. The last resort is importing clay soil from another site...but we're slowly reaching that point as our other options are falling flat.
Hey mune, Ba Neddee--
Do you folks have the ability to make a pond bottom out of concrete? That's another possible option.
All the best,
Grace
thanks for the plug ned. :)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
"-Sweet potatoes is my #1 favorite food out here."
oh, ned. i thought your "public ivy" education would stay with you a little longer.
bad grammar makes me [sic].
haha.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth: Arrgh, you're right. God I am pathetic. P.S. Thanks for lambasting me in front of everyone you heartless fiend. Married life really has changed you! (Only kidding).
Grace: Some people with the means have bought lots of concrete and tried that. The problem is concrete cracks and so you can have the same problems all over again after spending lots of money buying concrete. Yeah: there's no easy answer to any of it. We'll just keep trying different ideas until something works...if anything does...
Oh, Dear,
Where ARE my manners?
Much congratulations and well-wishes to the other web log readers, Rhose and Beth, and their families.
I hope that limnology project works out, Ba Neddee.
Grace
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home